Office Web Apps Server

Recently worked an issue with Office Web Apps Server aka OWA or even WAC server. The issue simply was it would not work.

There is not to much to these things. Couple of configuration settings and you are pretty much good to go.

So I checked the basics:

verify you can reach the discovery url from the browser
Collect client logs and server logs
Server components are as followed:

Component: DataMCU
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: DataMCURunTime
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: TF_COMPONENT,TF_PROTOCOL,TF_NETWORK
Component: DataProxy
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: GraphListener
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: GraphService
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: Infrastructure
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: InternalCommon
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: LDM
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All
Component: WebInfrastructure
=> Level: Verbose
=> Flags: All

Also have fiddler running while reproducing the issue.

So, once I collected all the logs its obviously time to review. Client logs were showing the following:

<diagHeader>54031;reason=”The WAC presentation failed with a server error.”; There is a few other lines like the url for the OWA server etc.

So Fiddler captures the error and we look at the url its trying to use. There I noticed that the url that was being created was pointing outside my network. I then checked my topology for the Office Web App and where it thinks the server location is:

Well this is not correct. My WAC server is internal. I then proceeded to change the topology and set my Office Web Apps servers location to internal and then published the topology. Once this was done testing proved that it is now working.

Hopefully this will help anyone that is having that “odd: issue.